The Orchestre Symphonique de Lyon was founded in 1947 by J. ZUCCONE, a violonist at the Lyon opera,; he was succeeded by M. CANAUD, and for twenty years by Raymond JARNIAT. After a turbulent 2000/2001 season during which the building housing our rehearsal room collapsed and both our conductor and deputy conductor left us, Mr Jean-Pierre PRAJOUX took over as conductor in September 2001.
Apart from its traditional concert given each spring in Lyon, the orchestra participates in many cultural and humanitarian activities in the city and in villages and towns in the surrounding region.
The orchestra also has an international dimension, as a number of its musicians are visitors from other countries - in recent years we have had German, Swedish, Japanese, English, Russian, Polish and Irish players. Visits have taken place to Switzerland, the Czech Republic and Holland within the framework of the European Association of Amateur Orchestras. Other exchanges have been arranged with similar orchestras in Germany and England, most recently when the Hounslow Symphony Orchestra came to Lyon for a joint concert in December 1999, after which we went to London in March 2001 to play with them again.
In March 1999, a concert was given for our Parisian friends in the prestigious rooms of the President of the French Senate in the Palais du Luxembourg in Paris.
The highlight of the 2002/03 season was a concert tour in the region to perform a contemporary work (Lumières, Messe baroque pour le 21ème siècle, by Jacques Loussier) with two amateur choirs, during November and December 2002.
In 2003/04 we gave the first performance of a new guitar concerto by the Spanish composer Juan Manuel Cortes.
Creation date : 20/08/2006 - 13:52
Last update : 14/02/2011 - 19:50
Category : About us
Page read 1786 times
Print the page